Sunday, December 14, 2008

Sometimes you're just too tired to think of a good title

This week has been filled with great blessings. We were able to get Anthony's flight set, and it wasn't quite as expensive as I had feared, plus we were able to get good flight times, so he'll be able to spend more time with us. He'll be arriving on Saturday at 4 p.m., and Will and I are very excited to see him. I'm probably a little more so, since Will doesn't seem to grasp that anything different's going on. If I could only get inside his little head to know what he was thinking. So far the only answer I'm able to get from him on any subject is "No." (He really enjoyed watching Shrek 2 tonight and repeating "No" every time Shrek did in the scene where Donkey asks over and over, "Are we there yet?") Whether he realizes Anthony's missing, I can't tell. I'm curious to see how he acts at the airport.

We also were able to FINALLY sell our truck. It has been a headache from the beginning--thank you Andrew for giving it to us. :) I think I just have bad feelings toward it because it started out stressful since it needed a lot of work, and I've never quite forgiven it. Mostly it's been good to us and helped out a lot on multiple moves. But we've been trying for awhile to sell it, and it is so wonderful to look out at the driveway and see just my car. I even parked in the middle of the driveway and took up part of both spots, just because I could. Ah, luxurious lanes. Now the only thing I want to see even more is a "Sold" sign in our front yard.

Will's taken to pressing his face into my stomach and yelling. I can only imagine what Ethan thinks of having someone screaming inches away from him. I'm sure it's a little disconcerting. But it's probably also good preparation. How am I supposed to explain to a one-year-old that babies sleep a lot and need some quiet? Nap times are going to be loads of fun, I can tell. Will's already given up his morning nap as of this week, which makes it a little harder to find time to get a shower. Maybe my aversion to those fences where you can corral your kids will fade after a few days with two babies and no showers. Something's got to give.

Will's also walking more often than he crawls. It still is a little weird to see him pop around the corner, but I'm getting used to it. The other day he and his cousin Jerod wandered into the kitchen together, Jerod all steady and Will a little shaky but right alongside him. I could almost picture them running around together as teenagers, which was a little scary.

Anthony's still waiting to officially start his classes at Tech School. Right now it's still meetings, details, and assignments--like watching the front door. Exciting stuff. He gets to act like a true government employee and refuse to go find who ordered pizza from Papa John's. As he put it, "I work for the US government, not Papa John's, so that's their problem if the person doesn't show up." I think the power's going to his head. He was also being threatened to be put in the band again--even though he didn't raise his hand this time, they have the list of the band members from Basic--and now he's thinking of volunteering. He says it's because he gets a special Letter of Appreciation in his file that shows he was willing to sacrifice his time, but I think deep down he doesn't want to let on to me how much he enjoys it, knowing my aversion to band geeks, I mean, members. He'll start classes just a few days before coming home, and we actually may get to find out this week where our first base will be. I'm praying for something a little more exotic than Idaho. Sorry to anyone I've offended, but really, between England and Idaho, which would be more exciting? Which means we're going to Idaho.

I've been busy selling trucks, arranging flights, dragging myself and Will to finish Christmas shopping, visiting doctors and making appointments, and fighting a nasty head cold. But you know what? It's been a good week.

2 comments:

A Bunch of Roaches said...

You sound happy. I'm glad you got your car sold. That is great that you get to see Anthony so soon.

the Corbin Clan said...

We're glad that you were able to sell the truck. And we are glad that it helped you when you needed it.
I don't think I want to picture Jerod and Will as teenagers for awhile... Jerod is such a daredevil and a hadful right now, I don't even want to imagine what kind of trouble her will get into as he gets older!
So Anthony comes home this Saturday? That will be nice. That sad though that we won't be here next Sunday, we will be at my grandmothers house. :( But We'll see him. Are you guys planning on going to Corbins Christmas Eve? That's when we'll be there this year. Well, I hope you get over your cold. Talk to you soon!

Laura