Thursday, December 18, 2008

Alaska?!

I knew it was an option. I just didn't expect it to be a serious possibility. But Anthony got his first base assignment today, and at the end of March we'll be heading to Elmendorf AFB, adjacent to Anchorage, Alaska. After I got over the shock, I was excited. Never in a million years did I think when Anthony and I got married that we'd be spending our third wedding anniversary in Alaska, and not just on a visit either. I also didn't expect the Air Force to send us overseas (and Alaska is considered overseas for them), especially knowing that they are sending a family of four, with a one-year-old and, by then, a three-month-old. But as we've been told from the beginning, the Air Force's needs come first!

Some things I've learned so far about Alaska:

1. Winters aren't so bad in Anchorage. They're situated so there's warm air currents coming from Japan, and they're sheltered by mountain ranges, so it's not extreme weather. According to Accuweather, it's the same temperature there as it is here. But while we might get up to 45, there going to stay in the 20's. It looks like the highs in July average 65, which to me still doesn't sound warm, but maybe I'll adjust. Snow from September to May, so I won't be packing away the winter clothes. I also think it's time to upgrade to an SUV.

2. It may take up to a month for us to get our stuff shipped there! And since we'll probably fly and they'll ship our car (which will also take several weeks to show up), I don't know how we're going to pack enough to get us through. Although the nice thing is that with military fares on an airline, they don't charge for the first three bags or so. Can I convince them that Ethan has three large bags as well? I guess I should have asked for luggage for Christmas. I also saw that American Airlines will check antlers (for a fee), so if Anthony bags an elk while we're there, we will be able to bring it home. Thank goodness!

3. We will get certain pay bonuses for higher cost of living. Groceries are 31.4% higher and health care is 91.1% higher (thank goodness that one's taken care of the Air Force--or Obama and his socialized health care). The Commissary on base "tries" to keep it's prices lower.

4. The animals most often hit by cars: moose, fox, and bears. Once again, I think an SUV is in order. I do not want to see what would happen after I hit a moose with my Cavalier. We're also warned that it is probably better to hit the animal with a "glancing blow" than to end up in a ditch or go over a cliff. I don't there is such a thing as a glancing blow with a moose, unless you hit it as you are leaving a stop sign.

5. If anyone wants to visit us and go camping, it's only $11 at the on-base campgrounds! Or you could get a hotel room and still have all of your toes in the morning for probably just a little more money.

6. There's a ski lodge, snowmobile trips, ice fishing, a skating rink, and a tubing hill. I'm definitely going to have to work up some excitement for winter activities. The first and last time I went skiing, I never left the bunny hill. But at the Recreation Camp a short drive away, you can see whales, porpoises, puffins, sea lions, eagles and mountain sheep.

7. The movie theater has showing times at: 7 p.m. That's all. There will be no late nights out, I suppose.

8. Not only do we need to watch for crazed animal wildlife (caribou, reindeer, polar bears, grizzly bears and the musk ox), but we also have volcanoes and earthquakes. I'm assuming blizzards, even though no one bothered to mention that. Good thing Anthony is an Eagle Scout. Wait a minute, maybe that's why they chose us to go there.

9. Population of Indianapolis: 781,870. Population of all of Alaska: 677,00. Half of those live in Anchorage, so at least we won't be too lonely. Population of Caribou: 1,000,000+

It's definitely going to be an adventure. I can't even imagine, but at least our blog posts may be more interesting!

In other news, Will learned a new trick on Monday. He woke up and was chatting to himself for a minute or two, and then I heard him start crying as if he was hurt. I got into his room, and when I looked at the crib, it was empty! I looked down, and there he was, kneeling on the floor. How he got out, I don't think I'll ever know. I don't think he's tall enough to throw a leg over to climb out, so maybe he pulled himself up somehow. The mattress has now been lowered to the bottom level, which makes it harder for me to lift him out, but I don't have to worry (as much). He's been quite the monkey this week, climbing on everything. He learned how to get into the little rocking chair that used to be mine when I was little. Sometimes I'll find him in his room just rocking away.

Will's also decided that he's done having people feed him. He's old enough to do it on his own, thank you very much. I made the mistake of trying to feed him macaroni and cheese, and I've never seen such a meltdown. Both hands started sweeping the rest of his food off of his high chair, accompanied by howls and tears. He's getting better at using his fork, but halfway through, it's usually back to using his hands. We're working on it though. It's nice that he's becoming a little more independent so I can just let him go at it while I'm taking care of Ethan, who will be here in 2 weeks (oh my gosh!). Other than that, we're still fighting colds, finally finished with Christmas shopping, and getting very excited to see Anthony in 2 days!

4 comments:

Jamie G. said...

Wow!! We've only been on a cruise to Alaska, and it is beautiful. Not sure about living there, but I'll bet that you end up loving it!! We were amazed at the number of eagles flying around. Simply amazing!! You had definitely better keep the blog up!

Erin said...

Congratulations! It's always fun traveling to new places. Sounds like you've already done your research. Can't wait to see beautiful pictures.

conejo said...

So I take it there is no option to stay with you guys... I see hotel campground and that's it.
SUV???? A tank!!!!!!!! that is what you guys need a TANK shut Anthony join the Air Force he should it go with the army...
You guys will love it there.

A Bunch of Roaches said...

Wow! Alaska. What an adventure. I didn't even know there was an AFB in Alaska.