Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Back to "Normal"

Things have finally started to calm down and get into a routine around here. Ethan's been home from the hospital for a week, and he's doing wonderfully. He's already more alert and looking around, and he's very scheduled as far as eating and naps go, which is completely different from how Will was (and is still). He even sleeps in his crib for the most part, but at night I either have to leave a light on or let him sleep next to me. Will is wonderful with Ethan. He likes it when I put Ethan in the car seat so he can rock it and sing to him. He also is constantly wandering over and kissing him or playing with his hands, and I keep finding toys in the crib that Will wants to share. The only issues we've had are that they both want to be held a lot--I'm getting really good at holding two kids at once!--and the fact that they have identical pacifiers, so Will thought we were giving his away. Now I find him once in awhile with one in his mouth, and one in each hand.

Anthony returned to Texas on Sunday, which is very hard on all of us, but most of all on Anthony and me. It was nice having everyone home together, and it's hard thinking that we won't be able to have that for several months. But that's our life now, so we're learning to deal with it. I'm also learning how to juggle taking care of both boys, and we're managing. We've had all of our meals on time, taken naps, cleaned the house, and gotten baths for both of them (I even found time to shower!). Will took his first bubble bath, and he of course had to taste the bubbles. He also learned to say "Uh-oh," so he's been using that one the last few days appropriately, when he's done something he shouldn't. I have to watch out for him because he's learned how to lock the doors, so I'm worried I'm going to be stuck outside one day. He locked Anthony in the garage, but at least I was here to open the door. I don't think I can convince Will to do the same.

Here are a few pictures from the last few weeks:

I so want to know what Will's thinking. I'm guessing it's along the lines of,
"Who does this guy think he's fooling?"










Will's American Idol debut



Will contemplating the gingerbread house


Then Will eating the gingerbread house


Will enjoying a cold one--I mean, a soda




Ethan in NICU


Leaving the NICU


Our first time all together



Ethan's first bath--he's so happy!




Ethan's baby blessing






3 comments:

Jamie G. said...

Oh my goodness..Ethan is adorable!! I can't believe that mine were ever that small. My kids were close like your boys, and truthfully it can be really hard the first couple of years, but after that it is SO MUCH FUN!! We actually call Ryker and Harley "Bonnie & Clyde!" Please, Please let me know if you need anything at all. You know, like milk or anything from the store, someone to come over to let you take a quick nap, anything at all!! Aspen doesn't have to go to school on Mondays, Wednesdays, or Fridays so if you need someone to play with Will while you take care of Ethan please call us. We would LOVE to help!!

Congrats on your beautiful and growing family!!!

A Bunch of Roaches said...

I love your pictures and I want to know how you are doing the whole nap/eat/everything else on time. Any pointers...? :) Craziness with a new baby and no husband. Kevin's leaving for 6-9 months on Friday, and I'm trying not to go into panick mode. It sure has been nice to have him around. Ethan is soooo pretty. Sorry Ethan, but you are. Will is so cute. His pictures totally made me laugh. Good luck with all this fun.

Erin said...

Congrats Laura! I'm glad you're adjusting well. Like Jamie, I'd love to help but unfortunately I'm in Michigan. I was surprised you blessed him already, but that's great you did it while Anthony was still in town. Was Ethan even 2 weeks old? You are so brave!!