Sunday, November 23, 2008

US Airways Rocks!

Sorry if this is a blatant plug for an airline, but I can't help it after the customer service I received from them. I made a reservation last week for my flight down to Anthony's graduation a week from Friday (I cannot believe it's almost here!). Since graduation is on Friday, I didn't think there was any reason for me to get there too early on Thursday because that would just mean more time for me to sit around doing nothing. Wrong. If I'd gotten my Visitor Info packet like I was supposed to (strike two for the post office since they already lost one letter I sent to Anthony), I might have known that Thursday has a lot of graduation events as well, including the Airman's Coin Ceremony. After reading some experiences of other families that have been through this, it sounds like it is almost as big of a deal as Graduation. Afterwards they then have base liberty, so I could at least visit with Anthony there. Although according to the website, one of the rules of conduct is that he is, "Not allowed to display inappropriate public affection (i.e. handholding, long or lingering kisses, or comprising situations)." So I guess our visit will be more like a first date.

Anyway, after reading about the different activities, I decided to contact the airline to see if I could possibly change my reservation. If I took the 7 a.m. flight, I would get there with about an hour and fifteen minutes to land, get my rental car, drive 30 minutes and find the Reception Center. Still cutting it close, but we'll pray for an on-time flight and no construction on the highways (yes, that's a BIG request). The lady I spoke with on the phone said it would be $150 to change the reservation, which is pretty close to what I paid for the ticket in the first place. And she said there was NO WAY around it. Ha! She's never dealt with me before. So I emailed and explained the situation, fully believing to receive the same answer. I also checked out their policy, and I found that I could try to switch to an earlier flight the day of for an extra $50 or try to fly stand-by if it was sold out. Obviously not great choices as I would still have to pay, and I would be worried for the next week and a half. But as luck would have it, I received an email this afternoon stating that as a one-time courtesy, they had changed me to the earlier flight so I could attend the military ceremony without a fee and even gave me hecka good aisle seats. They are awesome! Playing the military card apparently comes in handy. I thought I'd have to play both the military card and the pregnant card once I got to the airport to get some sympathy, but I guess it won't be necessary. Just give me a three-legged dog, and no one could stop me! So in 11 days I will be heading to San Antonio, where apparently the weather will be ranging from 70 one day to 55 the next. How do you pack for that?

We received 4 letters from Anthony this week, but I think it will be the last ones for awhile, as he was out in the field, playing in the mud and doing an obstacle course that looks like a nightmare. He said their TI tells them they can't write home as her way of toughening them up, so I believe most of my letters are still being written in the one place she can't go--the bathroom. He passed his test of cleaning his M-16, and he was even given the "privilege" of cleaning the TI's. She didn't say anything after he was done, which meant he did a good job. He also is proud of the fact that he can use the barrel of the M-16 to break someone's clavicle, so watch out! During Warrior Week, he said he would have to put on a gas mask, go in a chamber of tear gas, take off the mask and take a breath, then say his reporting statement. No one can ever do it, and it's a hands-on way to learn to never take off your mask. I received a delightful anecdote about another recruit getting in trouble for passing gas. He said it was hilarious and that I should have been there. He's been with boys WAY too long if he thinks that's hilarious and that I would think it's funny too. He also is having fun making sure all of the girl recruits are aware he's married by shoving his ring in their faces. I guess he's worried that the baldness and the glasses won't do the trick to keep them away. Although, I never could understand how George Costanza got so many dates, so maybe he's right. This week, Anthony will be working on his airmanship skills, learning the Air Force history, financial management, dealing with stress, etc.

Will and I had spent the week packing and unpacking boxes (guess which of us was packing and who was unpacking), freezing meals for after Ethan comes, and lots of trips to the grocery store. We had one showing on the house (yeah!) but no word back (boo!), and a couple people interested in buying the truck, although again, nothing finalized yet. Will has started patting me on the back whenever he gives me a hug. Maybe he's trying to be more manly? We're both looking forward to Thanksgiving (this year he can actually enjoy it!), and at least I'm looking forward to the sales the next day. I doubt he'll be as thrilled if I wake him up at 4 a.m. But I know we can both take a nap later!

1 comment:

A Bunch of Roaches said...

Laura, I love your blog. It is highly entertaining...and yes, the military card is great. It is nice to know that some people appreciate our armed forces and their families and the sacrifices they are making for their country.