Sunday, October 26, 2008

News From Anthony

I just got off the phone with Anthony a little bit ago. He actually was able to talk for 15 minutes, which was wonderful. He said some of it's like he expected, such as the yelling and lots of rules to try and learn, but other things are totally different. We were told no cell phones, and yet everyone else seems to have them. He could have called and talked all day if he had one, but we were following the rules, and he didn't have one to take anyway. He also could have taken any sneakers he wanted, but we had been told he needed to buy the ones there, so he took some really old ones just to get by and then had to buy an $80 pair, but if he'd had decent ones, he would have been fine. So I guess it's a new, friendlier Air Force than they let on.

The scary thing was that he received his immunizations yesterday, and he developed a very high fever and was rushed to quarantine. Another reason for me to distrust vaccines! He had IV's and all kinds of stuff. I'm blanking on what the name of the virus was, but he said it has flu-like symptoms and it's very contagious, so everyone treats him like he has the plague. There are other guys in quarantine with him, and they really only leave to go to the mess hall for meals, and they have to wear the surgical masks. He said it was nice to have a little break to digest everything that's been happening the last few days, but he also is worried about being behind after missing time with his flight because everything happens so fast. They'll check his temperature at 1500 hours tomorrow--that's 3 p.m. for all you civilians :)--and if the fever hasn't broken, he'll be back to quarantine. And if he's not better by Wednesday, he'll be recycled, which means he'll go back and start over with the first week, and he'll be gone a week later. So please keep him in your thoughts and prayers. I know he just wants to get through Basic Training, plus I only have a short window in which I can still fly and go down to see him for graduation before I'm too far along. Hopefully he'll be able to recover quickly. Other than that, he's working hard, he's got a fancy new haircut (but no cool glasses yet), and he sends his love to everyone.

2 comments:

A Bunch of Roaches said...

I'm glad you got to talk to Anthony. You are lucky you got 15 minutes. I literally got the "I got here okay. Click." phone call. Poor Anthony. I'm sorry he got sick.

Erin said...

Hey Laura! I found you through Christine's blog. Congrats on your second pregnancy by the way. I hope Anthony feels better soon. Good luck to you guys in your new adventures.